Sunday 23 January 2011

Writer's Guilt

Anyone who earns money from writing will tell you that writing is work like any other occupation. I don't feel guilty when I'm working at the day job, so why do I feel self-indulgent and lazy when I write?

Could it be because something that's this much fun shouldn't be classed as work?

I once sold cars for a living. And when I say once, I mean I lasted one week - and that included the residential training course. But one point made by our very entertaining trainer has stuck with me over the past twenty years: To be truly successful and wealthy, you must find a job you love above any other. That way leisure and work become one and the same thing - so, effectively, you spend your life at work, but it feels like you're at play.

So, I'm going to let go of writer's guilt and write when I can. And wait for success to follow.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely agree. And I tell myself that every day when I sit down to write instead of cleaning the loo/oven/doing the ironing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your name, Suzanna, and the advice really is priceless, isn't it? I'll live with the guilt, so long as I can write, write, write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quote from Harding Lawrence: "Don't set compensation as a goal. Find work you like, and the compensation will follow. "

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty about putting writing before housework, Jo.

    Thanks, Maya. Me too.

    That's a great quote, Romy - and very true.

    XX

    ReplyDelete